Thursday, May 19, 2011

Neutral...like Switzerland

Neutral...like Switzerland
Sweater - Vintage, Shorts - Courtesy of HereJ ($22!), Jewelry - Secondhand + Konstantino + DIY, Boots - Vintage, Hat - Vintage, Socks - Courtesy of Ozone Socks ($26!)

These are the shorts I mentioned in a previous post, which were a gift from HereJ. Aren't they sweet? You can't tell in the photos, but I had total booty hanging out for the world to see, and I am definitely a girl with some jiggle back there (compared to the rest of my body, anyway).

The socks were courtesy of Ozone socks. Ozone socks sent me an email  a while back introducing me to their brand and I fell in love. I was with my friend Ceilidh when the email came in on my iPhone. We were at the SPCA shopping for kitties (Ceilidh got a cat that I named Professor CATFACE [all in caps, just like that]) when I pulled up their website on my phone, and I just kept going back and forth between "Squee -- cute animal!" and "Gah -- these socks are so amazing!" It got to the point where I was shoving my phone between Ceilidh and the cats, cramming it right in her face and demanding that she look at all of the socks with me. "Ceilidh, that cat is cool and all, but look at these socks!" Anyway, these are most punk socks they have. I also got these bad boys, and these, too, which I can't wait to wear. I think they are the perfect way to make an easy outfit just a bit more interesting.

Today, instead of me rambling on about my ideas on this, that, and the other thing, I thought we'd try something new. I'm really curious to know what you think. The topic I have in mind today is mainstream fashion co-opting subculture aesthetics. The Balmain punk collection is what got me thinking about this, but there is also the matter of the infamous Marc Jacobs grunge collection (which Kurt and Courtney supposedly burned when Marc gifted them a suite of it), and several other comparable examples of this phenomenon. What are your thoughts on this?