Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Natural Hair Warrior - Natalie Barrett

We love the natural look here so we're really looking forward to the new venture of London actress Natalie Barrett who's setting up her own natural hair club. Natalie has had parts in BBC shows Dr Who and Psychoville and she's also a hair model. We can see why.

London actress Natalie Barrett by Jason Grant















Natalie is not the only one showing off her natural locks. American singer Solange Knowles is very much a poster girl for the movement.

Doesn't Solange look great?
























The afro of the  Grammy-winning jazz musician Esperanza Spalding is a sight to behold.


Esperanza rocks the big afro




















Fancy the look? Well, Natalie Barrett is ready to open the door. We found out her plans recently.

Afro Boudoir: Tell me about your natural hair club.


Natalie: The natural hair club will basically just be highlighting people with natural hair, talking about what they use, what they like, what they didn’t. I’ll be talking about my journey and  my favourite products.


AB: Why did you decide to set up the natural hair club?


Natalie: Many women want natural hair so this is something to help them discuss how they are going to do it or to show them various hairstyles. I’ve been natural for a couple of years now, so I would like to document what I’ve gone through to get to where I am now. I’m looking forward to hearing other people’s stories on there.


Natalie Barrett by Jason Grant















AB: What’s your signature natural hairstyle?

Natalie: I twist my hair into small sections at night using shea butter and then just let it out in the morning, so my hair looks curly. Halfway through the day, it just shrinks a bit.

AB: What response do you get from people about your loosened twists?

Natalie: I'm sometimes asked if it’s a weave, while others compliment me.

AB: You mentioned that you use shea butter in your hair. Tell us about that?

Natalie: It started when I went to The Gambia. I visited the market and they cut me a piece of the raw natural shea butter than can be used on your skin or hair.  My hair felt a lot more moisturised and healthier. It’s the best thing for my hair.

Natalie Barrett by Jason Grant




















AB: What do you add to your shea butter mix?

Natalie: I use shea butter, mint and jojoba oil.

AB: If someone was really conflicted between going natural or carrying on using relaxers, what advice would you give them?

Natalie: They say that when you are pregnant you are not supposed to perm your hair. To me, that says the perm is doing something to your child. So it’s going into your body and affecting something. They also say it takes seven years for the perm to grow out of your hair, so don’t perm your hair. Don’t do it. If you have to weave it or put in extensions, do that, but don’t perm your hair.

AB: You are also an actress, how did you get started in the profession?

Natalie: I studied Media Production at university. That involved a lot of directing and script-writing. I enjoyed that but then I thought I really want to act. I’ve always loved acting since I was a child. Drama school was really expensive, so after university, I auditioned for a theatre production and to my surprise, I got the part and that’s where it all started for me.

AB: What’s been your meatiest role so far?

Natalie: On the scary comedy BBC2 show Psychoville. I was a nurse and I had to be funny. I normally play straight roles, so it was a challenge for me.

AB: It must be quite challenging moving from one genre to another. Do you have a preference?

Natalie: Being serious or dramatic is easy when acting, but being comedic is harder. That’s why I like those sort of roles and I’d like to do more.

AB: Is there any person, living or dead that you’d like to play in a movie biopic of their life?

Natalie: Either Oprah Winfrey or Angela Bassett.

Natalie Barrett's hair club is now live on www.nataliebarrett.com