Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lighting tips

Hello fellow Smears my name is Nate Milk and I have been asked to be a contributor on ‘The Smearballs’.

This past April 19th 2009 my band Run With the Kittens played a show in my home town at the Orillia Opera House. I decided that I would document the show with a portable recording device.
I gave it to the sound guy and he said he would do it for me.
He was a fine blend of pretentious and arrogant and seeing this I figured he knew how to set up the device properly (plus you never tell a sound guy what to do).
We played the show and when I went home to listen to it I realized the sound man didn't know how to work the device as I have illustrated in the diagram above.

The sound guy wasn’t working alone. Beside him was a lighting guy there to make us look magical on the stage. And even though the sound guy has a huge responsibility to make the band sound good, he was nice enough to help out the lighting guy and give him some really good advice. Tips like “red and blue make purple” and the importance of “high lighting the bass” when it’s the only instrument being played.
Throughout the entire 2 hour performance the sound guy doles out the most helpful advice. For those of you aspiring to become professional lighting guys I have taken some of the best instruction this guy has to offer.
Thanks to him the lighting at the show was great! It’s just too bad I can’t use any of the audio.
Here is the audio from the show.