Friday, May 20, 2011

Kerastase Chroma Sensitive Cleansing Balm 3-Month Followup: Color-Treated Gals, This One’s a Keeper


If I freak out a little when I realize I’m almost out of a product, it’s usually a pretty good indicator of how I feel about it. Yesterday in the shower when I reached for my hot pink bottle o’ Kerastase Chroma Sensitive Cleansing Balm ($42 for a 6.8-oz. bottle) and noticed how light the bottle felt, I let out a sad little mewl. “Noooo.”

It was almost gone. :(
I started using the stuff, a silicone-free, low-foam and low-friction cleanser for color-treated hair, back in March. Unlike regular shampoos designed for color-treated hair, it adds special deep conditioners to the mix of mild cleansing agents. The blend is 1/4 cleansing agent, 3/4 deep conditioner, and Kerastase claims the brew gently washes hair while preventing pigments from escaping, thereby keeping your color intact.
After three months with it, I’m sold. I’m convinced it’s helped my hair color last longer. I went lighter a couple months ago with caramel highlights, and I think they still look bright, where with other products they probably would have looked a little brassy by now, and my darker base color still looks rich enough for me.


Because a bottle costs $42, I haven’t been using it every day. I alternate between it and conditioner washing with Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner. If your hair is shorter and/or less dense than mine, which I compare to a mop, the bottle would probably last you a lot longer than this one lasted me.
One more thing — I’ve heard that coupon sites like Groupon sometimes offer discounts on salons that sell Kerastase. Just something to consider if you’re interested in giving it a try.
Too bad it’s so expensive, but it could be worth it, especially if you’ve already made a big investment in your hair color.
PRICE: $42 for a 6.8-oz. bottle
AVAILABILITY: At select salons and beauty stores
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A+ (updated from a B+ in my earlier review)
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,
Karen
P.S. I just found that Keratase is hosting an online private sale offering 20% off any purchase of $100 or more for My Kerastase members. You’ll have to set up a profile to access the sale, but if you’re already a fan of the line, it might be a good way to save a little money and stock up on some basics. Happy shopping. :)